Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Help for P.R. Rookies

Many of us are at the threshold of employment in the PR industry. As PR rookies, it might be helpful to start tracking information that others in the industry report as helpful. For example, in KDPaine's blog she refers to Google Analytics. I checked it out and it looks like a good tool to keep in mind for future reference. As you discover cool tools, please give our classmates a head's up post in our blog.

I liked the style of Jim Horton's blog. It takes on more of a news reporting tone. It's easy to picture him as a PR professional. His focus is on the presidential elections right now. It will be interesting to see what his topics are after the elections. I discovered that he authored two books. His blogging gives you a feel as to whether or not you might be interested in reading his books. This is a much better method of book selection than just a cursory glance through a book before its purchase.

It seems to me that posting comments to someone's blog opens the door to a potential mentorship. I've noticed that many of the initial bloggers respond to the comments that are posted. Certainly one would become familiar with a frequent commenter, assuming the comments were pertinent and thought provoking or at least humble in soliciting information.

The more I search the PR blogs, the more I think they are valuable to search. New tools, discovering the styles I like and why, and the potential of mentoring by already employed professionals makes blog searches more appealing to me. I especially like the more informative and educational blogs, as opposed to the ones that focus on ranting and complaining. I haven't yet commented on a blog other than our own. Soon...

No comments: